Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou’s extradition hearings will be delayed for three months upon her request, following the approval of a British Columbia Supreme Court judge. The hearings were originally supposed to end in May.
Huawei executive’s team had requested more time to examine and review additional facts stated in the documents that became available after Huawei and HSBC reached a settlement in Hong Kong. Those documents will potentially be filed as evidence in the British Columbia Supreme Court, according to defense attorney Richard Peck.
“What we request is a reasonable time in which to assess the documents and determine their likely admissibility,” Peck said.
Lawyers representing the attorney general of Canada argued that Meng’s team is trying to turn the extradition heading into trial and that it had been given more time than usual to make their case.
After 2 1/2 years of legal proceedings, “and mere days from reaching the finish line, the applicant asks this court to take a several month pause. Her request should be denied,” the Crown said in a written response.
However, Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes sided with the defense in granting an adjournment and said she will deliver reasons for her decision in writing and they will read out in court on April 28.